And we are “Turning the Town T.E.A.L”
Led by Kaile Zagger and Pamela Esposito – Amery, Tell Every Amazing Lady (T.E.A.L) is launching their inaugural ovarian cancer awareness campaign in Greenwich, Connecticut this September. Through recognition of the gravity of this devastating illness, the Town of Greenwich and 1st Selectman, Peter Tesei, will be issuing a proclamation, in honor of Kaile Zaggers’ late mother, Marilyn Trahan Josephs, who succumbed to Ovarian Cancer in 1999 at 46 years old, deeming September, Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month for the Town of Greenwich.
This campaign will do the following in September:
1. Transform the exterior of the Town Hall, the fire departments, various local businesses and residents, from white to TEAL colored lights. The proclamation event will take place on the steps of Town Hall at 6:30pm on September 17th
2. Raise the Ovarian Cancer Awareness flag in 8 locations across town beginning August 14th
3. Partner with the YWCA and Mary Lee Kiernan to bringing education from world renowned gynecological oncologists from New York Presbyterian and Yale Hospitals with strategies on “How to Prevent and Treat Ovarian Cancer.” This lecture will take place September 26th at 6:30pm at the YWCA in Greenwich
4. T.E.A.L. will host a walk in the beautiful lake country of Litchfield, Connecticut on September 22nd to raise money for Ovarian Cancer research
1. 1 in 75 women will be diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in their lifetime and in women ages 35-74, it is the 5th leading cause of all cancer related deaths
2. 23K new cases in 2018 and 15K deaths
3. Ovarian cancer is a silent killer, has non-specific symptoms and lacks methods for early detection rendering only 20% of cases are found in early stages.
4. If Ovarian Cancer is found in Stage III or higher (80% of cases), the survival rate can be as low as 28%
Ovarian Cancer in Connecticut:
1. 8th highest incidence ranking in US for ovarian cancer
2. Over 300 new cases and 200 lives are being cut short – this year
For more information, please visit:
www.telleveryamazinglady.org and www.telleveryamazinglady.org/greenwich