This story was contributed by our new wellness columnist, Michelle Calarco.
The pandemic has altered nearly all aspects of our lives, and the way we work is at the top of the list. Remote work has become the norm for a lot of us and for some this may even be a permanent shift. Working from home has its upsides: not having to commute, flexibility, less interruptions. But it’s not without its challenges as many of us can attest to firsthand.
If you’re feeling like you need a reboot, some little changes can go a long way, according to designer, author and potter Jonathan Adler. Below Jonathan shares some tips on how to create a space you’ll love working in and upgrade your WFH life.
JA Tip #1: Stop improvising. Stop perching your laptop precariously on the arm of your sofa and invest in a WFH set up that elevates you from Toni in the typing pool to Cece the CEO. No office? No problem – think of any sad, unused space you have as your new office and get decorating. Why do you have a dining room anyway? The truth is you probably only use it for Thanksgiving.
JA Tip #2: Create a Zoom Room (or Zoom corner, but that isn’t quite as fun to say): Your Zoom space says something about you, so you should make sure it’s saying the right thing. It should reflect your vibe and the work you’re passionate about. It’s a great way to crystalize what you’re trying to communicate about who you are. Avoid the temptation to create a faux library of books you’ve never read, and instead display a trinket from your travels or art from your kid. Personality prevails!
JA Tip #3: Don’t forget to dress: Dress as if you’re going to a power meeting and you’ll be more focused.
JA Tip #4: But my #1 WFH tip is to fight against resting b*tch face. Always look “interested and amused” – especially if you’re not.
And, even after elevating your WFH game, sometimes what we need could be a change of scenery here and there. Take advantage of these office-for-a-day packages at local hotels where you can escape for a work getaway.
- Delamar: Work Day Getaway package – Break away from the home office and spend your workday in a tranquil and serene environment to relax and re-charge in the comfort of your guestroom. Your Work Day Getaway Includes:
- Guestroom with functional work space and abundant natural light
- $20 food and beverage credit towards lunch from l’escale
- Grab & Go Breakfast
- Complimentary bottled water & snack
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Complimentary parking
- Unlimited coffee, tea, espresso in our lobby
- Access to fitness center
- Check-in as early as 8am and check out at 5pm
This package is a day-use special, available Monday-Thursday.
- Hyatt Greenwich: Office for the Day package: Enjoy private use of a guest room from 7am-7pm, including items such as premium Wi-Fi, discounts on dining and parking, access to hotel gym, pool, spa and more. Plus, you’ll be rewarded by earning World of Hyatt points and elite Tier-Qualifying Night credits. Packages are available daily when you book between now and May 31, 2021. Visit Hyatt Greenwich for more details.
About Michelle Calarco: Michelle is a communications expert and a wellness enthusiast. After honing her storytelling craft in media and television, Michelle went on to elevate the profiles of premier brands across the hospitality, healthy living, and better-for-you food spaces. She has always been passionate about living and eating well and became even more immersed in health when she became a mom. On weekends you can find her squeezing in a barre class (during Paw Patrol) and baking healthyish desserts with her little one. Michelle has a consulting business and resides in Greenwich with her husband and 2-year-old son.
Have an idea for something you want to see in the column? Write to Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow her @michelle.calarco