Wallpaper is having a moment in the world of interior design, and with good reason—it can completely transform a space and new materials make it more versatile and durable than ever. “People are experimenting with adding layers to the room in all shapes and forms, whether it be pillows, drapery or artwork, and we now have gotten people open to the idea of using all that great wall space to bring the final look to the next level with wallpaper,” shares Jody Deluca, founder of Jody Deluca Designs, a full-service interior design firm based in Greenwich.
We asked Jody to share more of her thoughts on wallpaper—and advice on how to to incorporate it into your home.
Why should you consider wallpaper?
- Wallpaper is an easy, fun way to refresh areas of your home.
- Given that wallpaper is making a comeback; there are so many vendors that now offer affordable prices, making wallpaper a more accessible option.
- Don’t be afraid to go BOLD! Adding a colorful or bold patterned wallpaper to smaller spaces such as powder rooms make a big impression to guests that come over and can be the fun pop in your home.
If you’re ready to try textured wallpaper, how do you choose between the Grasscloth or Vinyl option? Can you tell us a bit about each?
- This is a natural fiber wallpaper that can add beautiful texture to a room without a “pattern”
- It is best to use in low traffic areas given the fragile nature of the natural fibers (think dining rooms, foyers, back of bookcases).
- This is a newer alternative that gives the same subtle, textured appearance that grasscloth gives but with the ease and peace of mind that it is washable.
- It is great for powder rooms, bathrooms, kids areas, even laundry rooms.
Certainly not. While there are still wallpapers that are a cost commitment there are now countless vendors who have accessible prices! You can also incorporate it in smaller areas of the house such as behind bookshelves or in powder rooms which still make things fun but are not as big of a commitment.