All trees to be recycled must be undecorated (ornaments, tinsel, lights and stands must be removed). The Parks & Trees Division will be recycling resident’s Christmas trees by chipping them. The wood chips can be used by residents as mulch or compost. Tree chips retained by the Town will be used in parks as mulch for trails in woodlands, shrub beds, and soil stabilization.
Nationally, Christmas trees are recycled for five main types of large-scale uses.
• Chipping; chips to be used for mulch or compost
• Beachfront erosion prevention
• Lake and river shore stabilization
• Fish habitat; trees are sunk in lakes to serve as cover for young fish and sustaining insects
• River delta sedimentation management.