Brie En Croute…The Perfect Appetizer!
Contributor and chef, Anna Gass of the Heirloom Kitchen, was kind enough to share her go-to appetizer recipe with us. She loves Brie (and who doesn’t?) and when you wrap it in a puff pastry and stuff it with sweet filling, it’s simply beyond. You can leave them premade in the freezer and pop them in the oven whenever some unexpected guests drop in. The only bad part? There’s hardly ever any leftovers!
Serves 6 to 8
• 1 Medium Brie, entire wheel
• 1 Sheet Puff Pastry, I love Dufour
• 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
• 1 cup dried craisins, apricots, golden raisins or any other dried fruit of choice
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Cut Brie in half lengthwise. Sprinkle all other ingredients inside starting with brown sugar. Place top of brie on top and press down.
2. Roll out puff pastry sheet and place brie in middle. Wrap the brie up with the puff pastry and turn over.
3. Place brie in freezer for at least an hour so puff pastry refreezes.
4. Heat oven to 425. Place parchment paper on a sheet tray with brie on top.
5. Heat in oven for at least 15 minutes. Brie is done when the puff pastry is evenly brown on all sides.
To serve, place on a large platter with crackers, small cheese knives and cut bread. Cut a small wedge out so the melty goodness starts to pour. Enjoy!