It is finally the time of year where some of our favorite seasonal foods are growing. In the Springtime we love nothing more than finding a local strawberry patch to pick our own strawberries or head to the farmer’s markets for fresh produce. We’ve collected three of our favorite seasonal recipes here that are all quick and easy to prepare.
The Greenwich Farmers Market will open May 19th th and will run through December 15th. The Old Greenwich Farmers Market will open May 31st and the Darien Farmer’s Market will open June 6th. All dates will be noted on our calendar.
Easy Oven Roasted Asparagus
- 2 pounds thick asparagus, woody ends trimmed off
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Parmesan (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil a baking sheet or a baking dish large enough to hold the asparagus in one layer. Place the asparagus in the dish, and toss with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, until the stalks begin to shrivel and color lightly.
- Remove from the oven. If desired, toss with the thyme and season with lemon juice and/or parmesan.
Spring Pea Risotto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 1/2 cup dry White Wine
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/3 cup mascarpone Cheese
- 1 ½ cups fresh peas, shelled and blanched
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shallot and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute. Add the Arborio rice to the skillet, toss to coat, and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add white wine and stir the rice until all the wine has been absorbed. Add the chicken stock 1/2 cup at a time. Let fully absorb before adding more.
- Once the rice is just tender, add the Parmesan and mascarpone cheese and combine. Add the previously blanched peas and carefully combine. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Squeeze lemon juice on top and serve.
- 2 cups diced fresh strawberries
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced baby radishes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
Toss together strawberries, scallions, radishes, chives, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Gently toss in avocado just before serving. Enjoy!