- This event has passed.
NAMI Family to Family and NAMI Basics
October 8, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
NAMI Family to Family and NAMI Basics. Both online courses are completely FREE to participants.
NAMI Family-to-Family is an 8-session educational course for family, significant others and friends of people living with mental health conditions. The NAMI Family to Family course starts Monday, September 14, 2020 from 7:00 to 9:15 pm.
NAMI Basics is a 6-session online educational course for parents and family caregivers of children and young adults under the age of 22 who are experiencing symptoms of a mental health condition or who have already been diagnosed. The NAMI Basics course starts Thursday, October 8, 2020 from 9:00 to 11:45 am.
Both courses are facilitated by NAMI-trained volunteers who have experience caring for a family member or child with mental health conditions, and include presentations, discussions and interactive exercises.
Research shows that the courses significantly improve the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to a person with a mental health condition. The online group setting of NAMI Family-to-Family and NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand the situation first-hand. In the courses, participants learn about:
- How to solve problems and communicate effectively.
- Taking care of yourself and managing your stress.
- The impact of mental health conditions on the entire family.
- Supporting your loved one with compassion.
- Finding and using local supports and services.
- Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and current treatments and therapies.
- An overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems and resources to help you navigate these systems.
- How to advocate for your family member’s rights at school and in health care settings.
- How to prepare for and respond to crisis situations (self-harm, suicide attempts, relapse etc.)
Both programs are developed by the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the nation’s largest grassroots nonprofit organization aimed at improving quality of life for people living with mental health conditions and their families. NAMI Southwest CT is the local affiliate serving lower Fairfield County, CT.
To register for the NAMI Family to Family course, contact Bob Cornell at firstname.lastname@example.org or (203) 849-9573.
To register for the NAMI Basics course, contact Evan Pagano at email@example.com or (203) 273-7226.
For more information, please visit our website: www.namisouthwestct.org/education.
Registration is required.